Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Torture We Enjoy

Li fe is hard, no doubt about it. recently I've been thinking to myself, and I've discovered a thinking fallacy in my brain. I think this occurs quite often with many of us. This fallacy goes something to the effect of, 'If (______) happens, then my life will be easy/easier. See if you recognize any of these.

Oh if I can just finish this semester then life will be easy.
If I can just get a boyfriend/girlfriend then life will be easy.
If I can just lose X amount of weight then life will be easy.
If I can just get a good job life will be easy.
If I can just get a different job then life will be easy.
If, if, if, if, if......then life with be easy.
And here's a picture of a hiking trail in Mt Rainier, just because.

Sound familiar? Of course it does, that's what life's about.

I'm here to tell you something though. Brace yourselves. Truth of the matter is, life doesn't get easier. It can harder or easier in increments (or way harder if you do something monumentally stupid like drugs or crash your car or start another semester at school, you know, usual stuff) But it doesn't get easier.

We simply find a form of torture that we enjoy, and we stick with it. We fill our lives with all these little tortures, which hopefully we enjoy and then we call that good. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment